El Dorado County Sheriff's Corrections
Below are the disqualifiers that are listed in our Department Policy.
The following shall be disqualifying during the background process:
1. Receipt of three or more moving violations (or any single violation of a potential life threatening violation, such as reckless driving, speed contest, suspect of a pursuit, etc.) within three years prior to application. Moving violations for which there is a factual finding of innocence shall not be included.
2. Involvement as a driver in two or more chargeable (at fault) collisions within
three years prior to date of application.
3. A conviction for driving under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs within three years prior to application or any two convictions for driving under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs.
4. Any material misstatement of fact or significant admission during the application or background process shall be disqualifying, including inconsistent statements made during the initial background interview (Personal History Statement or Supplemental Questionnaire) or polygraph examination or discrepancies between this background investigation and other investigations conducted by other law enforcement agencies.
5. Any forgery, alteration, or intentional omission of material facts on an official employment application document or sustained episodes of academic cheating.
6. Conviction of any criminal offense classified as a misdemeanor under California law within three years prior to application
7. Conviction for two or more misdemeanor offenses under California law as an adult
8. Conviction of any offense classified as a misdemeanor under California law
while employed as a peace officer (including military police officers)
9. Admission(s) of having committed any act amounting to a felony (including
felony-misdemeanor offenses) under California law, as an adult, within five
years prior to application or while employed as a peace officer (including
military police officers)
10. Admission(s) of administrative conviction of any act while employed as a peace officer (including military police officers) involving lying, falsification of any official report or document, or theft
11. Admission(s) of any act of domestic violence as defined by law, committed as an adult
12. Admission(s) of any criminal act, whether misdemeanor or felony, committed against children including but not limited to: molesting or annoying children, child abduction, child abuse, lewd and lascivious acts with a child, or indecent
13. Missing any scheduled appointment during the process without prior permission
14. Having been disciplined by any employer (including military) as an adult for abuse of leave, gross insubordination, dereliction of duty, or persistent failure to follow established policies and regulations
15. Having been involuntarily dismissed (for any reason other than lay-off) from two or more employers as an adult
16. Having held more than seven paid positions with different employers within the past four years, or more than 15 paid positions with different employers in the past ten years (excluding military). Students who attend school away from their permanent legal residence may be excused from this requirement
17. Having undergone personal bankruptcy more than once, having current
financial obligations for which legal judgments have not been satisfied, currently having wages garnished, or any other history of financial instability
18. Resigning from any paid position without notice shall be disqualifying, except where the presence of a hostile work environment is alleged.
19. Having any outstanding warrant of arrest at time of application.
20. Being under current academic dismissal from any college or university where such dismissal is still in effect and was initiated within the past two years prior to the date of application
21. Having been academically dismissed from any POST certified basic law
enforcement academy wherein no demonstrated effort has been made to
improve in the deficient areas, except: subsequent successful completion of
another POST basic law enforcement academy shall rescind this requirement
22. Having been disciplined by any employer (including the military and/or any law enforcement training facility) for acts constituting racial, ethnic or sexual harassment or discrimination
23. Uttering any epithet derogatory of another person's race, religion, gender,
national origin or sexual orientation
24. Having been disciplined by any employer as an adult for fighting in the workplace
25. Admission(s) of administrative conviction or criminal convictions for any act amounting to assault under color of authority or any other violation of federal or state Civil Rights laws
26. Any admission(s) of administrative conviction or criminal conviction for failure to properly report witnessed criminal conduct committed by another law enforcement officer
27. Any adult use or possession of a drug classified as a hallucinogenic within seven years prior to application for employment
28. Any adult use or possession of marijuana within one year prior to application for employment
29. Any other illegal adult use or possession of a drug not mentioned above
(including cocaine) within three years prior to application for employment
30. Any illegal adult use or possession of a drug while employed in any
law enforcement capacity, military police, or as a student enrolled in
college-accredited courses related to the criminal justice field
31. Any adult manufacture or cultivation of a drug or illegal substance
32. Failure to divulge to the Department any information about personal illegal use or possession of drugs
33. Any drug test of the applicant, during the course of the hiring process, where illegal drugs are detected